[Wine]Crossover and Free/Wine

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 11:27:00 CST 2004

> So, if so many things work on wine-20040213, then
> how come so many things do NOT work on wine-20041019???

During the course of development and adding new features, bugs are
constantly introduced.  It's the nature of the beast on such a
large-scale project.  While we do try to limit any bugs going in, it
is impossible to spot them all especially when a feature here might
interfere with a very important feature over there.

> I'd like to support the effort, but it's hard to learn
> and hard to make an impact at my level.

The best way is to just jump in and start trying to fix things, even
if you don't know how at first.  You'll send in initial patches that
will probably be turned down, but you'll learn a lot doing this.  An
easy thing you can do is regression testing.  If a feature works in
20040213, then you quasi-binary search to find the patch that
introduced the bug.  Once it is found, you can either try to fix it or
at the very least just let everyone know which patch is causing the
problem.  Check out this link for more info:

http://winehq.org/site/docs/wine-devel/cvs-regression

James Hawkins