[Wine]internet explorer

Dan McGhee farmerdan at i-rule.net
Sat Nov 20 07:32:44 CST 2004

Olive Esseret wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone succeed to install Internet Explorer with wine-20041019 ?
> For what I have seen from winehq it should be possible but I have not
> succeeded. Which dlls and which config must I have ? I have tried with
> ie5 and ie6. I suspect I must have some native dlls but I do not know
> which and which config must I have.

The only way I have been able to successfully install and run IE6 is
with Mike Hearn's script which is available here:

http://bylands.dur.ac.uk/~mh/wine-ie/

I've had some problems using it "out of the box" and I don't think
they've been addressed yet. The problem is with advpack.dll. (When doing
any of the things that I suggest here, please realize that winedbg will
start at least once if not four times. Let it do its thing and just
<quit> at the end. The install will continue.) I THINK, without hacking
the script, you can, in a console do the following:

WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ole32,olepro32,oleaut32,rpcrt4, advpack=n"
wineserver -k

If I'm right about <wineserver -k>--need help from people with more
experience on this one--this will set the environment for the install.
Of course, you'll have to import the ole* and rpcrt4 dll's. Advpack
comes with IE6.

If this works, add the ole's, rpcrt4 and advpack to the AppDefaults for
iexplore.exe that the script puts in the .wine/config file. And you
should be good to go.

There's another "messier" way. Obtain a snapshot of wine before August
24, 2004. Install wine and use Mike's script to install IE6. Change the
name of the .wine directory. For example, <mv .wine .wine-old>. Then
uninstall wine and update to the most current snapshot you have. Install
IE6--get past the debugger starting and also understand that it will not
run. Then copy system.reg from .wine-old to the new .wine directory. You
may also need to do the same thing to user.reg. Also don't remove the
directory that the script makes from /tmp.

I've started to work on Mike's script so that this extra stuff isn't
needed any more. It's going to be a while before it's done--I have a lot
to learn. But in the meantime, I hope this works.

Dan