Fwd: Re: [Wine]re:re:HELP

Julian Hall wine at kaotic.co.uk
Mon Oct 11 07:46:21 CDT 2004

David Jones wrote:

> Or they simply don't have the time or the interest. We have a number
> of friends whose response is, "Why should I have to learn all that
> stuff just to use a computer?" It's kind of like saying you have to go
> learn how the carburator, engine, brakes and steering work (in some
> detail) before you can put the key in the ignition and start your car up.

However to drive a car (legally) you have to complete a course and be
issued with a license to say you are competent.  If you do not do so,
among other things you are a menace to other road users.  Did that
driver not spend time learning the Highway Code? (or whatever the
document is prevalent in your country).  There is an argument to say it
would be nice if pushy sales staff stopped telling people how easy
computers are.  At least advise the customer to *read* the manual first
before screaming for help.  Maybe then we would see a decrease in the
number of people who ask "What do you mean "right click?".... one
customer I know of was asked to right click on his mouse and wrote the
word "click" with a felt pen.  Regrettably this is *not* an apocryphal
story.

> My daughter's been using a computer since she was two years old - and
> has no idea or interest in how it does what it does. She uses Windows
> 2000 and knows how to install software, setup a printer, and use
> Mozilla and her assortment of drawing programs. She considers that
> enough.
>
> Some people just want to use a computer, not learn the nuts and bolts.

That depends what you consider "nuts and bolts".  With your car analogy,
do you consider it necessary to only be able to drive it?  Or does this
extend to being able to put fuel in it, check the air pressure of the
tyres, oil, windscreen washer etc?  There are those who would consider
the above "nuts and bolts" and just want the car "to go".  Users (of all
equipment) have a responsibility to familiarise themselves with the
basic concepts required for basic use of the equipment.  With a computer
I'm not talking about Windows registry or Linux kernel hacking, I'm
referring to basic things like cut and paste.  One user I know is
incapable of using Windows Explorer after three years!

> Not always possible, depends on where in the world you live. The US
> and some other developed countries have a plethora of old computers
> running around (at one time I had 12 here).
>
> The last $50 system I saw around here (Hawaii) was your choice of a
> 286-based laptop (with no hard drive, floppy only) or a 25MHz 386. We
> used to have a place around that bought and resold old computer
> equipment, but they've gone out of business and nobody seems to be
> filling the void.

I suspect the original poster meant $50Aus not $50USD.  Anyway I agree
your mileage my vary but there is always a surplus of old/obsolete
equipment, you just need to know where to look.  Ebay for example.

> I don't remember if I even looked at it. I was mostly relying on the
> docs that came with my distro, under the assumption that they would
> cover the distro better.

I have to admit this (SAMBA difficulty) confused me.  My first ever task
using Linux was to get it talking to my Windows box with SAMBA.

Despite one admitted false start where I put the device instead of the
mount point in the share it wasn't exactly taxing.  I never read a
manual for it until afterwards.  I suppose it depends on the method.  I
used SWAT to configure SAMBA and it worked a treat.  Of course the other
point is that if you don't understand the manual, ask Mr Google.
Someone somewhere will have put it into plain English for a new user.

I do agree with the point made however that it would be logical to
assume the documentation supplied with the distribution would be
sufficient for the task without looking elsewhere.

Kind regards,

Julian