[Wine]Re: wine-20040914

v)3TH <l1quidm3th at gmail.com l1quidm3th at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 11:10:44 CDT 2004

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:57:05 -0400, John Wildberger
<wildberger at cogeco.ca> wrote:
> On Monday 11 October 2004 07:17 am, Holly Bostick wrote:
>
> > I think that the question being asked is not so much which file you're
> > referring to, but rather, why are you using the source tarball rather
> >
> > than the Mandrake RPM found on the full display of the Sourceforge page.
>
> No, this was not the question.
> But to answer your implied question I quote from the Wine User Guide:
> quote:
> "To summarize, the "best" way to install Wine is to download Wine source
> code"
> " About binary package files:  There's about a zillion reasons to not like
> them as much as you'd think: they may be outdated, they may not include
> "everything", they are not optimized for your particular environment (as
> opposed to a source compile, which would guess and set everything based on
> your system), they frequently fail to provide a completely configured Wine
> environment. "
> end quote.
> You might not agree with these quotes, but they are read by new users and are
> taken seriously.
> I personally don't take them seriously, but am sufficiently curious to find
> out first hand by trying  to install from source.
>
> > The page section you linked to shows only the source tarballs; notice
> > the "show only this package" in the section copy below? The link you
> > gave is the "show only this package" link for the source tarballs.
> >
> I  simply answered the question:
> "Could you indicate which page on winehq this came from?'
>
> > There is presumably a reason that the Wine project has compiled binaries
> > for all the major distributions, and the fact that they have gone to
> > that extra effort suggests that you would probably have better results
> > from the binaries for your distribution, rather than compiling from
> > source yourself.
> See above quotes.
> John

I personaly favor source over prebuilt, but i run slackware .. I havnt
a clue why config isnt guessin your arch, but usually when i get a
config.h error, it has something to do with kernel headers or glib .
This is just me and adding my 2 cents in , it migh help out.. If you
could copy and paste your whole error or send it to my email and i
could take a look .. Cant promise anything, been i had alot of probs
with mandrake .. good luck

--
Support Free Speach , DROP AN ELBOW!!

(v)3TH