[Wine]Wine question - sort of... program that ran now crashes

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 15:13:59 CDT 2004

I'm thinking now that I was just lucky. Most people have not been able
to get it working. For me it only ran for two weeks.

I have been doing some things this morning which lead me to believe I
don't know how to run multiple versions of Wine correctly. What I have
been doing is this:

(Please don't mix this with my other Wine questions about Quicken.
That's a different environment and not part of this audio work)

1) Set up two source code directories
wine-20040505
wine-20040914

2) configure and compile wine in each directory

3) Run make uninstall in the one I want to remove and make install in
the one I want to use

4) Now 'wine --version' shows the correct version number

Now, my question comes down to how do I handle the .wine directory?
The The 20045050 version requires a config file, but it also seems to
accept links placed in th dosdevices direcotry. I say this because if
I run 0505 with no .wine/config file winecfg won't run. On the other
hand, the 20040914 version seems to go the direction of don't use a
config file unless you find you need it.

But what about installed applications? Where should they be placed? If
I install an app, like Battery, under 0505, then do I need to remove
the .wine directory to correctly move to 0914? Seems like I wouldn't
want to leave the config file, the registery files, and everything
else there since they are afrom a different rev. However, if I remove
them then I have to reinstall apps.

I'm as confused about handling the registry uinder Wine as as I am
under Windows!!!

I think you said that you do NOT reinstll apps, so I assume that
possibly you've figured this out?

thanks,
Mark