[Wine]Wine question - sort of... program that ran now crashes

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Oct 16 11:28:23 CDT 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Now, my question comes down to how do I handle the .wine directory?
> The The 20045050 version requires a config file, but it also seems to
> accept links placed in th dosdevices direcotry. I say this because if
> I run 0505 with no .wine/config file winecfg won't run. On the other
> hand, the 20040914 version seems to go the direction of don't use a
> config file unless you find you need it.
>
> But what about installed applications? Where should they be placed? If
> I install an app, like Battery, under 0505, then do I need to remove
> the .wine directory to correctly move to 0914? Seems like I wouldn't
> want to leave the config file, the registery files, and everything
> else there since they are afrom a different rev. However, if I remove
> them then I have to reinstall apps.

There is nothing that you need to do. You should have no problems
switching between those two versions of Wine. The newer version will
simply ignore entries in the config file that it no longer uses. And the
older version will ignore entries in the registry files it does not use.
There is no need to reinstall apps.

You say "I have been doing some things this morning which lead me to
believe I don't know how to run multiple versions of Wine correctly".
But you don't mention what it was you are seeing.

As much as I dislike mentioning it, have you tried rebooting?