[Wine]What works, what doesn't?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 11:08:45 CDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:44:35 -0700, Matthew L Reed <matty at zootal.com> wrote:
> I've been running the Windows version of Half-Life server for several weeks
> and I'm surprised at how well it works. It's gui is a simple console, no
> sound or video manipulation, just number crunching and udp/tcpip network
> communication. All of which seems to work very well.  The problem is that I
> can't figure out how to autostart it when it crashes.

I run a few games - Half Life, Caesar III, Starcraft. They all work
well enough to play. Half Life runs a bit better under WineX than
under standard Wine.

I run M$ Office under Crossover Office. Mozilla & mplayer now work
reasonably well for web browsing. Although there are enough things
that don't work, and it's not quite as fun as using IE on a well
configured Windows box, it works well enough for most of my needs.

I'm now running a number of windows VST  (Virtual Studio Instruments)
under jack_fst with sub 3mS latency. This uses Wine under the hood and
works very well when it works at all. Unfortunately it appears that
changes were made to Wine post 20040505 and we cannot use newer
versions right now.

I have no fewer than 6 versions of Wine on my system right now. It's a
mess. It's works, but it's a mess...

- Mark