[Wine]Quake II - a modal problem?

David F. Colwell dfcolwell at dfcolwell.com
Tue Oct 19 15:32:32 CDT 2004

Holly Bostick wrote:

> David F. Colwell wrote:
>
>> I am running FC2 on a Dell 600SC, latest wine version.  FYI:Quake II
>> will run on machines with only 4 MB video cards and no OpenGL.  It
>> runs fine under Windoze.  Under Wine it runs the "launching demo"
>> well but then I have no keyboard or mouse control.  I must force the
>> power off to regain control.  On Windoze one would hit the escape key
>> at this point and a menu screen appears with Game, Options, Video etc.
>> Any ideas as to the cause/solution?
>

> Is there some reason that you want to run Quake 2 under Wine rather
> than using the native binaries readily available?

I know that in windoze the CD must be in the drive in order to work.
So, I thought it would need to be in place under Linux also.  I assumed
that wine was then needed to direct the program to find that CD device,
if nothing else.  Are you suggesting that I can copy the entire CD to
the hard drive and it will find every file it needs within its own
directory?

> Presumably such problems are solved there (given that, afaik, the last
> time I ran Quake2 worked fine and used both OpenGL and SDL, iirc).

My integrated video; ATI Rage XL, doesn't support OpenGL.  Wish it did.
There are no AGP slots either.