[Wine]Desktop Icons

David Salisbury david.salisbury at momentumweb.com
Tue Oct 19 17:19:31 CDT 2004

This may be semi-offtopic, but it's something I've found very handy when
adding icons for "shortcuts" in Linux to programs running under WINE.
Usually I haven't been able to get the actual Windows program icons to show
up, and then I found this utility:

http://www.student.lu.se/~nbi98oli/icoutils.html

It lets you extract .ICO files from your .EXEs, and then extract the icons
contained within into .PNG files that Linux can use to show as icons for
your software.  For example, I now have an official mIRC icon on my Linux
desktop that I use to start mIRC through WINE.  Having the official icon
just makes it feel that much cooler. :)

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else, as I was trying to find good program
icons for Windows software under Linux for a long time!

David