[Wine]Re: "Severe - Unable to create a directory under ..."

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Mon Oct 25 12:06:18 CDT 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Trying again. Any ideas on this one?
>
> Frist sent last Wednesday. No responses so far.
> Thanks,
> Mark
>

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 11:02:10 -0700, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>   I'm playing around with installation of a number of older, Win
>>98/Win ME era sound programs. One I'm working on right now comes up
>>with what, for me, is sort of a standard problem. I get a dialog box
>>with this message:
>>
>>"Severe - Unable to create a directory under C:\PROG~FBU\GSampler.
>>Please check write access to this directory."

Normally the approach to this would be something like run the program
something like:
WINEDEBUG=file wine program &> wine.log
That should hopefully give you clues on what call is breaking; grep for
something like "GSampler" if the file is large. Likely it would be some
function in the Wine source code in dlls/kernel/file.c or file16.c. If
that did not help, more can usually be found with:
WINEDEBUG=file+relay wine program &> wine.log
Though that creates a much larger file.

Given a function name from a line in the wine.log file, you can always
locate it in the source code by putting the function name in here:
http://source.winehq.org/ident

If you find something in the traces that looks interesting, post it with
some preceding lines for context.