[Wine]Application crashes when File->open is clicked

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 28 04:06:16 CDT 2004

On 28 Oct 2004 11:04:56 +0530, you wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 	I found a bug in Latest wine releases. I found it in the
> wine-20040914,wine-20040813 rpms for the RedHat Distributions.I had
> tested it in RedHat-9.0,7.3 systems.
> 	The bug is that, when we try to open(file->open) from any windows
> applications, the application hangs. For eg., even in Notepad, when I
> click File-> Open, wine shows the following error.
> ---------
> wine: Unhandled exception (thread 000b), starting debugger...
> WineDbg starting on pid 0xa
> Unhandled exception: divide by zero in 32-bit code (0x403a5ff5).
> In 32 bit mode.
> 0x403a5ff5: idivl       0xffffffc4(%ebp),%eax
> Wine-dbg>
> --------------
>  	But the problem does not exist for older wine releases. Eg:
> wine-20030508.
> 		I guess, the reason for the bug is with the config file.

No, it is a known bug that exists already far too long. With your help I
like to create a fix for it.

The problem lies in determine what exactly the file system is on one of
your simulated drives, this is supposedly a FAT file system (FAT12,
FAT16, FAT32).

First determine what drive this is. If you are not sure, run wine like:

WINEDEBUG=+file wine ...

and make it crash. There should be a line with CreateFileW just before
the crash, the name of the device in the form "\\\\C:\\".

Then assuming it is drive C:, and your ~/.wine/dosdrives/c: points to
the mount point of a mounted file system, lets say /dev/hda1.

Then make a copy of the superblock this way:

dd if=/dev/hdax of=superb.bin count=4

(/dev/hdax is the device you found in the previous step)

and send me the file superb.bin

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes