[Wine]How to help improving Wine?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 09:46:56 CDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:47:58 +0200, Emanuele Gissi
<emanuele.gissi at vigilfuoco.ra.it> wrote:
> Hi,

Hi.

> I really did my best to understand how I can help improving Wine, but I did
> not succed.

Give yourself some time. It's a big job...

> <SNIP>

> 1) What should I do next time I encounter a similar problem with an app? That
> is: how to use winedbg?

Try typing bt and hitting return. bt is Back Trace and will give you
some more info for the developers.

> 2) Why does ALOHA work on Crossover and not on Wine?
> 3) Which are the main differences between Crossover and Wine?

Not sure. The newest Crossover Office release says that it's
wine-20040213. Beyond that they have developed a very nice installer
that will install Quicken when I cannot do it from Wine by itself.
They seem to supply a number of support apps. I thing CXO is one of
the best investments of money I've made in Linux. Possibly someday it
will not be necessary to use a completely separate version of wine
like this, but for today I'm happy to spend a few dollars in with
these guys to make my life easier.

> 4) Does Codewaver really contribute back to Wine?

I'm sure  they do. I was looking at Changelog files yesterday and saw
Codeweavers people's names all through the file.