[Wine]old Wine from CVS

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri Oct 29 14:06:40 CDT 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:45:46 -0700, Duane Clark <dclark at akamail.com> wrote:
>
>>Walt Ogburn wrote:
>>
>>>Now look in fst/libwinelib.c.  This is the meat of the hack that allows
>>>fst to use wine in the way it does.  I don't think this is a "normal"
>>>winelib application, as those shouldn't use wineserver (right?).
>>
>>I believe it is normal for winelib apps to use the wineserver.
>

> Presumably this is a policy defined by Wine and not by winelib apps,
> correct? If so, is there any documentation I could read?

In my very limited understanding of this, the wineserver is playing the
part of the Windows "server", which is very vaguely like the Linux
kernel. A whole lot of things go through the server; I think all
graphics calls go through the server, for example.

> If so, then one of my suspicions about this specific problem was the
> possibility that it isn't really Wine that's crashing, or even the
> specific VST that's crashing, but more that it's jack_fst that's
> crashing. Possibly because it's talking to Wine (or the wine server)
> incorretly?

Yes, the segmentation fault message looks like a plain Linux
segmentation fault message. In Wine, I would expect something about an
unhandled exception.

> One thought is the reason I cannot catch the failure using the FIXME
> method I tried last night is because the segfault isn't in wine at
> all?

If you never triggered a FIXME, then I guess the crash occurred before
you got to any FIXME in the code.