[Wine]old Wine from CVS

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri Oct 29 18:08:12 CDT 2004

Mark Knecht wrote:
> OK, first I tried Crystall.dll, a synth I know works. I ran it under
> 20040505 stratight. It works. Then I ran it under GDB still on
> 20040505. The GUI never comes up. Don't know what that means. Here it
> sits:
>
> flash mark $ gdb jack_fst
> GNU gdb 6.0
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain conditions.
> This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...Using host
> libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
>
> (gdb) r vst_dir/Crystal/Crystal.dll
> Starting program: /usr/bin/jack_fst vst_dir/Crystal/Crystal.dll
> warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
> GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
> and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
> [New Thread -1217877856 (LWP 22589)]
> [New Thread -1226290256 (LWP 22592)]
>

> Been there for 10 minutes. No CPU usage. It's just sitting. Ctrl-C
> won't break gdb. I have to just kill it.

I don't know what that would be. I haven't seen anything like that
before. But then, I don't use gdb enough to be very good at interpreting
things.

> Question - Do you have Jack installed and running?

Yes. Otherwise, jack_fst complains and just exits.

> I don't think the above comment is as evil as it might look. In the
> context of how Jack works it uses FIFOs in memory to transfer audio
> data from client to client...

Looking at the code in the function, at least the scribbling part is
trivial code and is not the problem. I am not sure how to set a
breakpoint in a library that is loaded by the program being debugged, so
I am not sure how to narrow it down further.

> On my system I can sit in gdb and I never get the gui for the VST. I
> don't even get it for notepad:

Well, I don't get anything when I try to run it with notepad either. I
don't really know what that means.

In the case of jack_fst, it appears to crash visibly the same way,
regardless whether under gdb or not. So it appears to be working for me,
for whatever reason. For what it is worth, I compiled and installed jack
from source.