[Wine]Registry issues

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Sat Sep 4 22:29:18 CDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 02:03:12PM +0300, Kyryll Mirnenko wrote:
> > Firstly, XP SP2 had major updates that broke Windows programs, so make
> > sure that's not an issue.  Furthermore, IIRC, 9x support is best, and
> > ME/XP/etc had modifications and complications in relation to the 9x
> > regestries, layouts, etc. etc. etc.
>
>   As for ME, wine read its reg format fine, as for 9x support I can say it's
> "best" cause wine is designed as NT-compatible subsystem,

What do you mean NT-compatable subsystem? 9x was based on 3.1!  NT was a
seperate thread of Window OSes!  The two were "merged" in ME/XP, and 2K
was the equivilant of NT 5!  I don't understand what you're saying here.

But yes, 9x support seems to be best.  It's because there's less to
implement, and it's been in the works longer, I'd guess.  ME just has
less work on it, IIRC.  (It has been on the market for a shorter period
of time.)

> so some core wine libs were unable to work with core ME ones.

ME was a NT-based hybrid between 3.1/9x and NT, I think.

[snip]

> > > Dealing with mmap() issue (or making FBSD developers deal with their
> > kernel)
> > > is higher priority :) My wine is Gerald Pfeifer's May version port
> >
> > Did you look at exactly what changes were made in the port?  Maybe
> > that's an issue.  And would a current wine CVS, or say, the August
> > release, compile on FreeBSD?
>
> August release works as July does, e.g. fails on mmap()ing :) FreeBSD kernel
> team works hard on 5.3-RELEASE scheduled for 1 Oct (they've already put it
> off two times :), so no help from 'em or even problem discussion.

And I suppose there's no way you could discuss (either now or later)
this, say in a development thread? i.e. a problem to be fixed (if not in
5.3-RELEASE) in, say, 5.4 or a 5.3-DEVELOPMENT or something?

Since I have no experience whatsoever with FreeBSD, I don't think I'd be
able to help you any more here.  Maybe someone else can help you, and if
not... well, maybe someone will fix it later down the road.  Or you can
contact wine-devel and see if you can write your own patch-workaround.

> Regards, Mirya

Good luck,
--Michael