[Wine]cdrom access

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Sat Sep 4 22:44:38 CDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 09:24:08PM +0100, richard wrote:
> Hi
> just put wine on a fresh machine, the cdrom is mapped to /dev/cdrom ,
> which is where the cdrom is, but I'm not seeing the contents of the cd.

What are the contents of the cd?  Is a music cd, or a software cd-rom?
If it's a cd-cd, you might be better off listening to it with a linux
based solution, such as cdparanoia.  Also, /dev/cdrom is usually a
symlink to a ide or scsi device (i.e. /dev/hdb) which is where your cd
rom really is.

> wine build is Feb2004 , OS Mandrake 10.0.2 WM is Gnome..

How about using a newer version?  I.e. the august release, or CVS?

> To be a bit frustrating when trying to read the cdrom using the
> filemanager, its unavailable to everything else. Which I think is correct.

 If your filemanager and cdrom are automounted, and/or are running via
 different users, this is to be expected.  The cdrom device/folder, like
 all other mounted filesystems, when mounted, becomes "owned" by the
 mounting user, and therefore and usually only be read by that user id.
 If the permissions are wrong, or one one app is trying to use raw
 reading whilst the other has mounted the drive may cause errors.