[Wine]TV cards

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Sun Sep 5 07:07:43 CDT 2004

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 12:35:24PM +0100, richard wrote:
> michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 08:11:16PM +0100, richard wrote:
> >
> >>Hi, has anyone tried to use wine to control a tv tuner card ?
> >

> >Are you talking about using a Windows TV tuner driver, or using a
> >Windows TV tuner helper application?
>
> I was referring to a windows driver

Are you kidding me?  Wine runs applications, NOT DRIVERS!  Wine is NOT
Windows!  There has been statement of that in many places around wine
and it's site and amiling list.  As they say, RTFM.

> >Some TV tuner cards have drivers in the linux kernel, you can recompile
> >your kernel and try and find a linux helper app - that might work better
> >than using a wine solution.
> >
> I've had a mail suggesting which drivers to use with this card, but Id
> like to explore both.

What's that supposed to mean?  I'd suggest trying both; if they're linux
kernel components, rebuild your kernel, and set them as modules, so you
chan change drivers if necessary.

I know that the driver loading and testing for linux is ten times harder
than it is for windows, but the result is much more stable, 9 time out
of 10.  (Hm.  maybe that's why Linux hasn't caught on yet.)