[Wine]Pb with Installshield (Dragon Naturaly Speaking) : not enough room on system drive

Emmanuel Charpentier charpent at bacbuc.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 6 02:23:55 CDT 2004

Duane Clark wrote:

[ Snip ... ]

>> However, any time I try to install Dragon Naturally Speaking, I
>> stumble on the fact that InstallShield is unable to see the free space
>> on the system "disk" : according to the log, Wine reports -1 Mb free,
>> while Dragon tells it needs 40 Mb. Therefore, InstallShield aborts the
>> installation.
>>

> Had you CDed into the cdrom drive to run setup? I doubt it will help,
> but an easy test might be to try to CD into your Wine C: drive and then
> run setup from there. Maybe the installer is really dumb.

Tried that. Ditto.

>> ----- Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation started on 9-5-2004,
>> 15:23:23 -----
>> Configuration=Professional, Languages=fra enx, Version=5.00.401.179
>> Type=RELEASE
>> 15:23:25 -- Insufficient space to perform installation on System
>> drive. Setup requires 40 MB, but only -1 MB free.
>> ----- Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation cancelled due to severe
>> error on 9-5-2004, 15:23:25 -----
>

> Probably what you will need to do is to run the setup something like this:
>
> WINEDEBUG=+relay wine setup.exe &> wine.log
>
> That will make the program run really slow, and create a very large
> file, possibly 100s of MBytes, so you need lots of empty disk space.
> Then I typically split the file:
>
> split --bytes=2m wine.log
>
> That creates a whole bunch of smaller files, requiring lots more disk
> space;) Then grep for the error message:
>
> grep "Setup requires" x*

Tried that. The resultant file is "only" 467 Mb, mostly made of messages
similar to :
000d:Call ntdll.RtlEnterCriticalSection(4a99f8f0) ret=4a98ccd3
000d:Ret  ntdll.RtlEnterCriticalSection() retval=00000000 ret=4a98ccd3
I wonder why ...

(Curiously, whent piping through tee, Setup stops with a *different* error
message, stating that the install engine could not be starded. Heisenbug ?)

> Hopefully that shows up in one of the files. Open the file and see what
> was happening before the error message. If it is not clear, try deleting
> obviously irrelevant or repeated lines, and maybe post a few hundred of
> the lines before the error message.

Hmmm ... Seems that Wine is detected as being Windows NT, but without
administrator privileges (btw, the wine config file tells it to eulate
win98. See posted files ...). Does this rings a bell ?

I can send the relevant 3 file(s) (2 Mb apiece) if you like...

					Emmanuel Charpentier