[Wine]running MSI or EXE

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri Sep 10 10:35:24 CDT 2004

Rodrigo Poblanno Balp wrote:
> I want to install an app for mp3's called mp3br that comes in an 'msi'
> file but I cannot install it for 'msi' is not a valid.
> I installed msiexec.exe and everything went on correctly, I read online
> that I should install msi's like this:
> wine msiexec.exe /i mp3br.msi
> but I get the error message telling me that ntdll.dll is not found. I
> added it to the wine.config
> as "native, builtin" but it still shows that message.
> Anyone knows how to run msi installers?

Wine cannot use the Windows ntdll, so doing that won't work. I would
gues that perhaps msiexec is checking for the existance of ntdll in the
c:\windows\system or system32 directories. So the first thing to try is
to do something like:
touch ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system/ntdll.dll
If that doesn't change the error message, maybe try
mkdir ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
touch ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ntdll.dll

See if one of those either makes it work, or at least changes the error
message.