[Wine]oracle config

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Fri Sep 10 09:18:25 CDT 2004

Am Fre, Sep 10, 2004 at 10:44:00 -0300 schrieb piuras at ig.com.br:
> Excuse me , but I need to run Oracle under wine-linux, I have a full system
> developed in windows and I need to change its to linux, but I don?t have 2
> or 3 years to migrate. I just have one month. After that I will rebuiding
> the full system in linux in Java.

I had a project of such a migration. Took us one week. You make install
ORA under linux, make a backup with the database manager and restore it
on the linux machine. Yes, you have to fiddle around a little bit, but
with one month you have plenty of time.

> I just need to now how to conect an aplication with oracle that is runing in
> wine. I have configured the system under linux by the way similar to windows
> but the conection broken by timeout. I don?t have error messages just it
> doesn?t work.
> I am using oracle 10g and instant client. The problem seems to be related
> with the JVM under wine, but I am not sure.

Hmmm, I'm not sure if I understand what you are doing. What actually
runs under wine and what should run under wine? Did you manage to run
Oracle under wine? Or is just your application running with wine? Or
both?  Perhaps it's a good idea if you describe your project and problem
a little bit closer, also telling us, what version of wine, kernel,
linux distribution you are using.

The SUN JRE 1.4.1 is known to work somehow with wine. By the way, as
it's Java you should be able to execute the programs with native linux
jre.

Regards
	Joachim
          Never run a touchy system!!!"