[Wine]MSFlexGrid control(msflxgrd.ocx) always gives a maybe outdated error

Adam Gibson static at xstatica.com
Thu Sep 30 23:24:37 CDT 2004

I have a few apps at work that use the msflxgrd.ocx control and have
been trying for several years to see if one day it will work with a new
release of wine but that day has not yet come.  I have finally decided
to post to this list about it instead of sitting idle and see if anyone
might be able to help find the problem and see how big of a deal it is
to fix.

I had a developer at work create a test app that did nothing but add the
MSFlexGrid control from msflxgrd.ocx on a form and compiled it(no code
was added).  When I run the app(or any other app at work that uses
msflxgrd.ocx) a msg box pops up with the text below:

"Failed to load control 'MSFlexGrid' from MSFLXGRD.OCX.
Your version of MSFLXGRD.OCX may be outdated.  Make sure
you are using the version of the control that was provided
with your application."

I tried changing the Windows version in the wine config to all different
versions but that did not help.  My latest attempt I copied the
MSFLXGRD.OCX (version 6.0.84.18) from a win2k system to the wine system
directory for the test.

One day I hope to find a fix for this problem so I can dance around my
work area spouting stuff like... "No more windows for me!!" to all my
co-workers :).  Any information that might help would be appreciated.