[Wine]Problem with accouting SW and Samba/NFS

fuerst at gmx.li fuerst at gmx.li
Tue Apr 12 04:36:45 CDT 2005

Thank you bill for your reply

> > I got following problem:
> > I have an old accounting software. It runs at the moment on a
> > NT4.0 System which access the program itself on a samba share.
> > I tried to get this application running under Linux with wine.
> > When I copy the whole folder from the file server to the local
> > filesystem (ext2), it works well with wine (tested with
> > 20050111 and 20050310). But when I mount the share into my
> > drive_c to the correct path (drive_c/KWIN in my case) and
> > start the accounting software, the problems are starting. It
> > starts up but after providing the password it fails to open
> > the database where the data is stored. The application uses a
> > Paradox-Engine from Borland btw.
> > How is it possible that it works when all the files are on a
> > local fs but not when they are on a share? I tested NFS and
> > Samba, both fail, changing the behaviour of wine also did not
> > help (e.g. switching it to nt40). The filesystem on the
> > fileserver is ext3 but I think this definitely should not
> > matter.
> >
> > Any idea? My boss reported that it once worked with this set
> > up but with an older version of wine, I unfortunately don't
> > know which version it was.
>
> Don't know, but one possibility is region locking.  Unless
> something has changed while I wasn't looking, the SMB filesystem
> client doesn't handle locking and so the requests won't work.
> Your boss might be talking about a version of Wine from before
> it supported the locking sufficiently well and so it only worked
> by accident.

Okay I solved the problem and indeed it was only a samba issue. We are now
using Samba 3.x, while we used older versions the earlier day of course.
I had to put unix extensions = no into my smb.conf to stop Samba behave like
an NFS server. In the share options, I also added
oplocks = False
level2 oplocks = False
so there will be no problem with locking, as you said.

I then too had to remove some temoprary Paradox file from the app they will
be regenerated wenn running the app under wine and linux and now it works.
Most of it. I'm not able to close some windows but well this is no problem.

Thanx!

--
+++ NEU: GMX DSL_Flatrate! Schon ab 14,99 EUR/Monat! +++

GMX Garantie: Surfen ohne Tempo-Limit! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl