[Wine]Wine and ALSA

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Sat Apr 23 05:51:51 CDT 2005

Am Fr, Apr 22, 2005 at 09:37:27 -0700 schrieb Mark Knecht:
>    On paper I think the answer is 'dmix'. I've not bothered to try
> this out myself (haven't had a need) but I'm pretty sure it's intended
> to address exactly the issue you are seeing. You may need to develop
> some sort of virtual sound card in a local rc file. Not sure.

This is already done as you can see at the end of this message out of
my asound.conf.

> NOTE: I think the way you stated the problem below is a little bit
> incorrect, at least on a standard Linux system. Normally there isn't
> both Alsa and OSS running. There is only Alsa. What you are talking
> about here is OSS emulation by Alsa ofor certain applications and then
> mixing it back in with sound from Alsa applications. Is that correct?

Yes, you are right I shortened it a little to much ;-) I am using ALSA
with DMIX and OSS emulation. And if OSS programs (like WINE) are
running, they take the device just for them. And if another ALSA device
is running no OSS software can access the device. So that's the problem.

Regards
	Joachim von Thadden
          Never run a touchy system!!!"