[Wine]Probably a newbie problem, but my knowledge in Linux is so limited, so please Help!

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Fri Apr 29 10:13:07 CDT 2005

Kevin Hertzberg wrote:

> Otherwise, I guess the only thing I can do is to get myself a copy of
> Linux. Has anyone any particular version to recommend for my purpose
> (install Linux and WINE as quickly as possible and find the bug)?

Hi Kevin,

Simplest and cheapest way to get hold of a "Live" Linux distro is to buy
a Linux magazine as most, (if not all) of them carry a cover CD or DVD
with one of the latest live distros on for you to try out.  You'll also
have the benefit of advice from reading the magazine.

If you want to actually install Linux I have used Mandrake and Xandros.
Mandrake is quoted often as the distro best for newbies.  However I have
also found Xandros (Debian based) to be very good, and for the
ex-Windows user it has a more familiar GUI while you get used to the way
Linux wants to do things.  Also Xandros comes with a trial version of
Crossover Office, a version of WINE.  Although I would recommend the
full WINE package you may find Crossover useful to look at.

Kind regards,

Julian