[Wine]problems installing wine

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Apr 30 00:21:49 CDT 2005

I just downloaded the latest version of wine from the site to install on
my system.  My system is an Athalon XP 2400+ running Fedora Core 3,
fully updated.

I downloaded the file wine-20050419-1fc3winehq.athlon.rpm and installed
it, then installed  winetools-2.1.1-jo.i386.rpm to go with it.

I started winetools to do the configuration and completed each step of
the base install one at a time until I got to the Internet Explorer 6.0
step. At this step it hangs.

The console where I started winetools shows
---------------
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="" setarch i386 wine ./ie6setup.exe
waiting for wineservers to exit...
fixme:advapi:DecryptFileA "T:\\IXP003.TMP\\" 00000000
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW Animated icons not
correctly implemented! 0x7f9e0000
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW icon entry found!
0x7f9e0000
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW icon size ok.
offset=0x7f9e0074
fixme:setupapi:SETUPX_CreateStandardLDDs LDID_SRCPATH: what exactly do
we have to do here ?
fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc WM_SETFONT: stub
------------------

Top shows wine-preloader using 90 - 95% CPU with winetools
intermittently coming into the top 5 processes then dropping back down.

I periodically (about every 10 minutes) get a pop up message window with
a message stating that
" There is still a wineserver running after 600 seconds waiting. ..."
and it suggests killing the wineserver on the console by typing
wineserver.  I do that with no effect and it seems that IE6 does not
ever complete installation.
After waiting for over an hour, I finally halted winetools with a ctrl-C
on the terminal I used to start it.

Can someone tell me why this installation/configuration step hangs and
what I need to do to complete the install?