[Wine]Configuration after installation problem

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Aug 2 16:06:37 CDT 2005

I'm fairly new to wine. I'm running the version (Wine 20050211) that
comes with SuSE 9.3. I had been using the version that came with SuSE
9.1 (Wine 20040213), and recently ran the SuSE 9.3 upgrade installation.

Getting ready to try installing Word Perfect 8.0, I've been reading the
help documents. I recollect a warning not to run wine as root. By
mistake, I did so. When I did, it appeared to change the installation so
that now I have to run wine as root or I get messages such as:

------------------------
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"C:\\Windows\\System" is not
accessible.
------------------------

and

------------------------
Please use the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software\Fonts\LogPixels
to set the screen resolution and remove the "Resolution" entry in the
config file
------------------------

The .wine directory is in my normal user account, and that's where root
looks for it now. Where do I need to look to learn how to put things
back so that my normal user account can run wine?

I have some more details in the form of messages that appeared when I
ran wine --help as root:

-----------------------
dhcppc1:~ # wine --help
wine: creating configuration directory '/root/.wine'...
Converted windows dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "windir" =
L"c:\\windows"
wine: '/root/.wine' created successfully.
Wine 20050211
-----------------------

Here's most of what I got when I ran wine --help as my normal user:
(The top is missing because I haven't gotten around to increasing the
buffer in Konsole.)

-----------------------
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/com1 -> /dev/ttyS0
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/com2 -> /dev/ttyS1
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/com3 -> /dev/ttyS2
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/com4 -> /dev/modem
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/lpt1 -> /dev/lp0
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/a: -> /media/floppy
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/c: ->
../%HOME%/.wine/fake_windows
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/m: -> /media/cdrom
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/x: -> /tmp
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/y: -> ../%HOME%
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/z: -> /
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/a:: -> /dev/fd0
Created symlink /home/rsteff/.wine/dosdevices/m:: -> /dev/sr0

You can now remove the [SerialPorts], [ParallelPorts], and [Drive] sections
in your configuration file, they are replaced by the above symlinks.

Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "A:" = L"floppy"
Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "C:" = L"hd"
Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "M:" = L"cdrom"
Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "X:" = L"hd"
Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "Y:" =
L"network"
Converted drive type to new entry HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "Z:" =
L"network"
Converted temp dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "TEMP" =
L"C:\\Windows\\Temp"
Converted path dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "PATH" =
L"C:\\Windows;C:\\Windows\\System;X:\\;Y:\\"
Converted profile dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "USERPROFILE" =
L"c:\\windows\\Profiles\\Administrator"
Converted windows dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "windir" =
L"C:\\Windows"
Converted system dir to new entry HKCU\Environment "winsysdir" =
L"C:\\Windows\\System"
Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not accessible.
Warning: the specified System directory L"C:\\Windows\\System" is not
accessible.
Wine 20050211

Thanks for any advice

--