[Wine]Application doesn't run without a CD

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Tue Aug 9 03:45:42 CDT 2005

That's a common problem with MS Windows of all sorts, shapes and sizes.  I
manage a set of Win98 machines that frequently won't shut down without
random-seeking on the floppy.  I own a WinXP machine that demands a floopy
when it opens the X-Window-on-MS-Windows that I installed.  I've installed
from several similar cdroms that won't open without the cdrom being in the CD
drive.

It's one of the things that make ABM - Anything But Microsoft - so appealing.
It's Microsoft taking careful aim with a 30mm Gatling Gun at their own toes
and shooting to kill.  It's quality control at its Darwinian best, its most
bloodthirsty and ruthless.

I suppose it can be dealt with by making a copy of the cdrom on the
hard-drive, mounting it and pointing wine to it when you fire the demo up.
Other than that, I can't think of any solution.

Wesley Parish