[Wine]Quickbooks Pro 2003 installed will not run

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Fri Aug 12 22:38:44 CDT 2005

This is my first attempt at using wine and crossover. I want to run two
applications Quicken Premier 2003 and Quickbooks Pro 2003. I first tried
installing with just wine, wine-20050524-1fc3winehq.athlon.rpm, and ran
into immediate install failures with Quicken. So I down loaded
crossover's trial version and have installed both applications.

Quicken seems to be completely functional, did see one diagnostic during
install but it did not seem to cause any issues. I have been able
register the product, download investment quotes, and update the
product.

Quickbooks installed and popped up an intitial diagnostic about
registering the product, I think, and then flashed to the screen and
went away. Now it flashes to the screen and goes away. I have not found
but one reference by searching the net and it seemed to have the same
symptom and the person posting thought it was related to missing fonts.

Issues I ran into were all the built in installs like, DCOM95 and IE do
not work for the crossover installation. I poked around Microsoft's
download area and found the DCOM95 download. Quickbooks Pro install IE
6.0 but also does not run. The install for Quickbooks complained about
two missing support file giving no useful information about what that
might be. I also tried the font install for crossover and it also
failed. So I mounted a Win2k NTFS file system that will no longer boot
as I did a mother board upgrade and copied all the fonts over to the
crossover installation. Of course following the Windows mentality these
additional fonts are not recognized.

So my questions are, if using crossover do you also need wine? I think
that is true because when I removed wine my crossover menus went away.
How do you add fonts? Does anyone know the magic for getting Quickbooks
Pro to run?

I should also let you know I'm attempting this on a dual Opteron running
Fedora core 4 so it is a x86_64 architecture system.