[Wine]Need help:

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Sun Aug 14 15:32:10 CDT 2005

Gunnar schreef:
> I run Gentoo and has just installed the latest wine version,
>
> I try to run an application
> wine /wine/sol.exe
>
> and I get
> the following error.
>
> $ wine /wine/sol.exe
> Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.
> Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system" is not
> accessible.
> Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/wine',
> starting in the Windows directory.
> wine: cannot find '/wine/sol.exe'

I've got to say that my favorite 'side-benefit' of the most recent Wine
release has been that when someone comes by and says "I've got the
latest release," without providing a release date, and also attaches a
config file, we know without asking further that said user does not in
fact have the latest release--- because the latest release (20050725)
does not have a config file.... and if this was an upgrade, you wouldn't
likely be having that problem.

I also run Gentoo, and so I know that the last release marked stable in
Portage (which is not the same as "the last release" available from the
Wine project) is 20050111. Which release had a lot of problems, although
your actual error indicates a borked install. But since you've installed
an old (and more-than-normally buggy) version of Wine, you might as well
just upgrade anyway.

If you want the *real* last release (20050725), you should do the following:

1) make sure that the directory /etc/portage exists. If not,

as root, type

mkdir /etc/portage

then (or if the directory does already exist), also as root

2) type

echo 'app-emulation/wine ~x86' >>/etc/portage/package.keywords

into a terminal and hit enter. This assumes that you are running an x86
architecture. If you are running amd64, substitute amd64 for x86 after
the ~ . Wine is only available for x86 and amd64.

This will unmask the 'unstable' versions of wine in Portage. You can
then emerge the real last relase normally.

I presume this was a new install of Wine, so you have no previous
installation files necessary to keep (registry and the like). If that is
the case, just delete the ~/.wine directory, it will be recreated
(correctly, we hope, but it works fine for me) when you run wine without
parameters. If you do have registry entries from installed programs,
just back up the *.reg files in the ~/.wine folder before wiping the
folder, then put them back after the folder is recreated.

Then run winecfg to set up your drives, and you should be good to go for
most purposes, depending on what precisely you want to run.

As far as I can tell, Wine --or at least Wine as installed by Gentoo--
does not provide sol.exe (I don't have it either). However, the install
does provide notepad.exe (run 'wine notepad') and regedit (run 'wine
regedit'). So try those instead to check your upgraded install.

Hope this helps,
Holly