[Wine]problem with small fonts

Christopher Marshall christopherlmarshall at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 07:00:04 CDT 2005

I just downloaded wine-20050725 and compiled it myself under slackware 10.0.

I am not a regular user of wine, but I like to check on it every year or so to see how it is
coming along.

I am having a problem with small fonts in wine.  Sometimes the fonts are just right, and sometimes
they are way too small.  I can always fix the problem by deleting ~/.wine, forcing wine to create
a fresh default .wine directory to work with.  The is hardly a long term solution, however ;-)

Deleting .wine/cachedmetrics* seemed to solve the problem as well but today that stopped working
as well.  I had to go back to rm -rf ~/.wine.

Assuming this is a problem with wine getting the wrong dots-per-inch value for my monitor, how
could I configure wine to use a certain DPI value and not do whatever it is doing to determine the
DPI which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't?

I have read through the manual for wine and I see the "resolution = <res>" line in the config
file, which should be set between 60 and 120 for manipulating this, but I also see that
.wine/config doesn't seem to exist anymore and I am not sure where to go in the registry to
achieve the same effect.

Could someone clue me in as to what I am missing?

Also, is there a general mapping between the old config file keys and the new corresponding
registry keys I could use to make use of the config documentation?

BTW, wine seems to have come a long way since I last looked at it.  Great work guys!

Chris Marshall