[Wine]Assistance with Geometer's Sketchpad in a computer lab

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Aug 16 12:53:07 CDT 2005

It's a week until the semester starts, so what better time to dump on
the sysadmin (me)!  I've been told that I must have Geometer's
Sketchpad running in a small (20-seat) Linux-based computer lab and I
have a week to do it.  Just another pothole on the freeway of life.

So I've turned to Wine, which I have only superficial knowledge of.
The FC3 RPM from WineHQ, though a bit outdated (20050524), installs
fine and runs Geometer's Sketchpad very well.  After getting the fonts
right I can't even find any visual defects.  Three issues remain, and
I'm hoping that someone can give me a couple of hints.

1) I need to install it across the entire lab.  I can do an NFS share
   or rsync a directory across, but that only takes care of the files
   and not the registry.  Any hints on how to handle this?

2) It wants to open help files in a browser, but this fails probably
   because I don't have IE installed.  I'd rather not install IE if I
   don't have to; is there a possibility of getting around it?

3) When I do something that opens a file chooser, Wine tries to access
   a desktop.ini file in /usr/local.  But /usr/local is an automount
   point, and because of a weird interaction between autofs and LDAP,
   this causes a one second pause.  Unfortunately Wine repeatedly
   tries to fine this file, so opening a file is slow going.  Is there
   a way to prevent Wine from looking for that file?  (I think I know
   a workaround but I'd still like to find a proper solution within
   Wine.)

Thanks for any assistance you can provide,
--
  Jason L Tibbitts III - tibbs at math.uh.edu - 713/743-3486 - 660PGH - 94 PC800
       System Manager:  University of Houston Department of Mathematics