[Wine]wine and Real Rhapsody player

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Mon Aug 22 03:17:50 CDT 2005

John Bailo schreef:

> I am trying to make Rhapsody (the Real Networks music
> service) to run under wine.
>
> This guy, AmishGeek, says he got it to work:
>
> http://www.amishgeek.com/info/rhapsody
>
> But I don't quite understand all his instructions...and I tried sending him
> an email but his email box was full.   I don't understand the parts about
> installing windows media ( my machine is dual boot XP, Suse 9.3 ).   Does he
> want me to install it under the XP partition or Suse?

SuSE, of course. If you read more carefully, you will see that AmishGuy
has two computers, one at home (XP) and one at university/work (SuSE),
so there is no way that the suggestion to install IE and Windows Media
Player could relate to XP, because there is no XP on the SuSE machine
(it's not a dual-boot machine).

Secondly, you are already attempting to install a Windows program
(Rhapsody) under Wine, so it surprises me that you would be confused by
advice to install other programs under Wine first. You've installed
Rhapsody to SuSE without reference to your XP partition, right? So why
would your XP partition suddenly be relevant when attempting to install
these dependencies?

Apparently, the functioning of Rhapsody depends on two other programs
(IE and WMP 7.1). So these programs must be installed by Wine in order
for your install of Rhapsody to recognize them and function correctly.
What possible good would it do Wine to install them to the XP partition
(especially since they're already installed under Windows anyway, so if
they needed to be there for Wine, they would already be seen by Wine)?
But Wine does not refer to existing Windows installs by default, and it
is strongly recommended that Wine not be set to do so. The default and
preferred Wine configuration is considered to be Windows-less (i.e., a
real Windows install does not exist on the system), even if that is not
really the case.

The site gives you a link to the Sidenet utility that AmishGuy used to
install IE and WMP under Wine, did you follow it? (The title "Sidenet
Wine Configuration" is a link to the site where you can download
Sidenet.) I've never used Sidenet, but apparently it works for this purpose.

You might also consider WineTools, which apparently has a SuSE RPM, so
it might be easier for you to install than the Sidenet utility:
http://www.novell.com/products/linuxpackages/professional/winetools.html
(contains a link to the WineTools site)

or you might also consider:

Crossover Office (a commercial variant of Wine which installs IE and WMP
as supported applications). A free trial is available:
http://www.codeweavers.com/

> In Suse:
>
> If I open a terminal and enter:
>
> jbailo at texeme:~> wine /windows/C/Program\ Files/Rhapsody/rhapsody.exe
>
> It does a whole bunch of crazy stuff like this:

It's not 'crazy stuff'. *Rhapsody requires that IE and WMP be installed
before it will run.* You do not have IE or WMP installed (as far as Wine
is concerned), so Rhapsody cannot find them, and thus will not run. The
specifics of the errors are in this case irrelevant, because you have
not met Rhapsody's minimum system requirements, so of course it's going
to error out. If it still errors out after you get IE and WMP installed,
then we'll have something to talk about, in terms of what the errors are
;) .

> Any advice would be well appreciated as I love Rhapsody but I'm forced to boot
> into XP to use it!

Since pretty thorough instructions have been given on the page you've
linked to, try following them and see how far you get. Since these are
'how I got it to work' instructions, if you follow them, you should be
able to get it working at least as well as AmishGeek did.

Hope this helps,
Holly