[Wine]err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found! (XRandR)

Liam Kurmos quantum_liam at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Aug 23 09:46:56 CDT 2005

<oops> clicked reply and sent the message below to Holly only.Resend:

>> I'm not sure, but maybe you'll have to put X in 16-bit mode yourself
>> before running the game?
>>

>> That's a thought, but if Liam has an ATI card and is using the fglrx
>>

> (ATI proprietary) drivers, he can't do that, because the drivers only
> support 24 bit, and cannot change to lower bit depths.
>
> So if the program absolutely demands specifically 16 bit without
> exception (not that many programs are that strict, but a few are), and
> Liam meets those conditions, there's not much he can do, afaik.
>
> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if you're an ATI user, Liam.
>
> Holly

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Luckily I've got an Nvdia card, but
alas I tried setting x to 16bit but it didn't fix the problem.

having messed around trying to install cedegacvs (but can't get it to
compile under FC4), I'm back with wine20050725.
Something I didn't notice at first, is that if I set X to 16bit colour
depth, the XRandX error changes to:

fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from
16 to 32    <-  was '..from 32 to 16'

seems I can't win here.