[Wine]wine 20050725 config

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Tue Aug 23 13:15:48 CDT 2005

Liam Kurmos schreef:

>> The config file has been EOLed.  See here:
>> http://www.winehq.com/?issue=281#The%20config%20File%20Has%20Died!
>>
>> Hiji
>>

> noted. I really only tried putting overides in the config as they
> weren't being implement when I set them in the registry.
> x11drv settings (atleast Desktop=) do work, though when I set up an
> AppDefault these settings seemed to be ingnored, and only the general
> setting used.

Are you sure you set up the AppDefault in winecfg correctly?

There are two things to remember about doing so:

1) After you add the application (the *.exe) file in the 'General' tab,
it must be selected (highlighted) before you go to another tab, so that
winecfg knows that the future settings are meant to be an AppDefault and
for which app. Make sure to glance at your titlebar, and make sure it
says "Wine settings for "your application name".

2) Make sure you're setting the AppDefaults for the 'right' application.
I know, that sounds weird, but a lot of apps are initial wrappers for
secondary apps that are what you're actually running, so it's quite
possible to set parameters for the wrong app (the initial app, rather
than the secondary, "real" application).

As an imperfect example: If I want to play Morrowind, I can start

Morrowind Launcher.exe

or

Morrowind.exe

Morrowind Launcher.exe is the launch screen, from which you can change
some options, check or modify usage the game's Data Files, or start the
game. Choosing 'Play' naturally calls Morrowind.exe (unseen by the user).

So the point is, I could set all the AppDefaults I wanted for Morrowind
Launcher, but they would not be reflected in the game, which is a
different exe than the one I set defaults for, that is called by the exe
that I set the defaults for (and the AppDefaults do not cascade).

Morrowind is of course a game, but a lot of applications (especially
complex ones) do this as well. So it's worth it to check the
application's install directory once, just to make sure that you're
setting AppDefaults for the correct executable or executables.

Hope this helps,
Holly