[Wine]Softlinking to a dvd-drive with inconsistent mount points?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 15:48:57 CDT 2005

On 8/24/05, Hiji <hijinio at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Holly Bostick <motub at planet.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hiji schreef:
> > > In Suse 9.2, it was easy to softlink to a drive
> > from
> > > /home/username/.wine/dosdevices because the mount
> > > point for the drive was always the same.  That is,
> > > /media/dvdrecorder was always where the disc would
> > get
> > > mounted.
> > >
> > > NOW, with Suse 9.3, the mount point is
> > > /media/DISC_NAME.  Since each disk has a different
> > > name, there is never a consistent mount point.
> > So, I
> > > can't make Wine's "d:" drive the dvd-drive because
> > the
> > > mount point name always changes.
> > >
> > > Does anybody know how to get around this or have
> > any
> > > advice?  Is there something I have to do with
> > FSTAB?
> > >
> > > Hiji
> > >

> > Link the drive directly to the device, perhaps?
> >
> > Rather than linking to /media/whatever, you could
> > link directly to
> > /dev/hdc (or whatever it the real device may be).
> >
> > Alternatively, you could change/override the udev
> > rules to provide
> > consistent behaviour rather than this variable
> > behaviour. I can't tell
> > you how to do that exactly, as I don't need custom
> > udev rules (and don't
> > use my install of SuSE enought to note how it
> > behaves differently than
> > my main install of Gentoo), but udev is designed to
> > allow custom rules,
> > so you should be able to do it. I'd check the SuSE
> > sites or forums for
> > tips or documentation.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Holly
>
> Hi Holly,
>
> Any advice is GOOD advice.  :)  I'll take anything
> right now, and I think you may provided some clues
> with mounting directly to the /dev/hdx point.  I'll
> give that a shot, and give UDEV some research.
>
> In the meantime, if anybody else has any tips, please
> chime in.
>
> Thanks!
> Hiji

Hi Hiji,
   I wonder if you could do something similar to what I do with my
1394 drives? I mount them by labels instead of by partitions. This way
It doesn't matter whether the drive is sda or sdb. The partition
labeled 'music' (using e2label) always gets mounted at
/home/mark/music.

LABEL=music             /home/mark/music        ext3    rw,noauto,user  0 0

Good luck,
Mark