[Wine]Problem calling executable with document as argument

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Thu Aug 25 12:06:19 CDT 2005

Ubiratã Silva schreef:
> Hi Holly,
>
> first of all, thanks for your quick reply.

You're welcome. A tip, though-- please remember to use 'reply to all'
when responding to list messages, rather than just 'reply'-- this
message came only to me for that reason, though I'm sending this reply
to both you and the list.

Because of the way the list treats headers, using 'reply' will only go
to the originator's personal email, wheras 'reply to all' goes to both
the originator and the list.

> I've tried a different test. Instead of reinstalling the EDM Client on
> my Linux box, I've tried something more simple.
>
> I have also a Windows partition on my HD (XP SP2), so I've tried to
> run something more simple, say... notepad!
>
> the same problem occured. When I try to open a file in notepad
> directly from command line (say "wine notepad.exe test.txt", executed
> from the notepad directory and with test.txt on the same directory) ,
> here's what I've got in reply:
>
> wine: cannot determine executable type for L"C:\\windows\\test.txt" .
>
> However, if I run just "wine notepad.exe" it runs notepad with an new
> empty file, just as it should do.

I've just tested this, trying to open a text file (the *.ini file for
Morrowind, located in /usr/local/games/morrowind, where /usr/local/games
is symlinked to Wine's d: drive in ~/.wine/dosdevices).

After trying several variations, I found that the command

wine notepad D:\\morrowind\\Morrowind.ini

successfully opened the file in notepad.

So maybe what you need to do is add the path to your text file to the
name, rather than just the name. The double slashes escape the slash so
that it is recognized as a slash, in the same way that using a slash in
'wine C:\\Program\ Files\\whatever.exe' enables the space between
"Program" and "Files" to be recognized as an included space by Linux--
don't forget, Wine is a Linux program-- rather than the usual behaviour
where a space indicates the end of the command.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Holly