[Wine]Softlinking to a dvd-drive with inconsistent mount points?

Walt Ogburn reuben at ugcs.caltech.edu
Fri Aug 26 11:27:11 CDT 2005

Hi Holly,

Yes, I understand how it works currently with wincfg.  I have also used
the workaround that Hiji linked so that my CD drive has a fixed mount
point.  So I don't have a problem now, I was just suggesting that there
might be a more slick way to handle the drive mapping for removable media.

I think it should be possible for wine to figure out where a device is
mounted at runtime.  The information is there, because "mount"  can always
tell you what's mounted where.  Right now I have

d:  -> /media/cdrecorder
d:: -> /dev/cdrecorder

and wine needs both of these in order to use the CD drive correctly.  In
principle, though, /dev/cdrecorder should be enough information, because
it's always possible to find out where and whether that device is mounted
at any given moment.  If wine did it that way, changing mount points would
automatically work and even devices that get manually mounted (so that
there's no fstab entry) would be no problem.

- Walter