[Wine]Softlinking to a dvd-drive with inconsistent mount points? => HAL-Support

peter at piments.com peter at piments.com
Mon Aug 29 11:10:16 CDT 2005

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:56:27 +0200, Walt Ogburn <reuben at ugcs.caltech.edu>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
> Sorry if I started a contentious discussion.

Contentious discussions can be fruitful but I dont see much contention
here. It seems that although Detfel is a great fan of making directory
names out of what are basically verbose textual labels, no-one else seems
too keen at all.

There are too many special characters in text labels (not least of which
is the space char) and the probable length of any label description makes
it very unsuitable for part of a pathname.

As for suggesting all applications must rewritten to benefit from this
amazing new feature: rediculous waste of effort.

I agree with the other poster, I think it is not likely to have a very
long life-span. (If it does wine might have to start detecting SuSE on
startup!)

What does seems to be a more persistant problem is USB devices which can
have different device names every time they are plugged in, unless some
very specific udev rules are written by hand.

It seems that wine would have to plug into hotplug events to do anything
about this. But wine is not supposed to be a OS with-in an OS it is a
compatability library for running windows software, so it seems a line has
to be drawn  between program functionality and system functions.

8)

--
Using Opera e-mail on Gentoo Linux