[Wine] Re: Windows apps from windows parttion

Liam Kurmos quantum_liam at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Dec 12 11:02:55 CST 2005

drescher0110-lists at yahoo.com wrote:

>>not directories, the contents of the windows
>>registry.
>>I havent yet managed to workout what file(s) this is
>>stored in in win,
>>but you can export keys from the regedit program in
>>win.
>>

>You are asking where windows stores its registry?
>WinNT and above store it in Windows\system32\config.
>The files are binary files Software, Sam, Security ...
>I don't believe they are easily read.
>
>John

ah. well that answers that one. Thanks John. I'm a bit curious where M$
is trying to go with there registry, do you know if win has a thread
running as a kind of registry server?

-> noah
luckily when you export keys from win regedit. They are saved as a
simple text file. wine
also uses a text file in the same format (for a normal install this is
~/.wine/user.reg)  so adding keys from your win system here should allow
the apps on it to run in wine.

note: you may have to change 'paths' in the keys to point to the right
places.

Liam