[Wine] Re: Lotus 123 with Wine

Krister Hallergard krister at hallergard.fsworld.co.uk
Mon Dec 12 17:11:14 CST 2005

Was reasonably happy with Lotus 123 on Fedora Core4 with wine 0.9.2 and
with SuSE 10.0 with wine 2004-05-05.  As long as I started from winefile
and opened a wk4-file within 15 seconds it was stable (otherwise Lotus
123 would exit).  But then I realized that I couldn't print - got error
messages "we don't handle PRINTER_ENUM_CONNECTIONS..".  Googling did not
give any working solution, so I had to find a better solution.

Excel has wk*-filters, so I installed winetools base setup incl IE6 and
the Windows system software, and then Office 97 - Excel only.
Installation worked fine, but when starting Excel it froze while showing
the welcome screen.  The solution was to use "Open an Office file", and
after that Excel could be started normally.  The printer also worked
with Excel.  This solution was valid for Fedora Core4, Suse 10.0 and
also Kubuntu 5.10. - all now with wine 0.9.2.  Great!

Not with Mandriva 2006 though.  Nothing happened when trying to install
with install.exe (just like with Lotus SmartSuite setup.exe).  Also
after copying a functioning .wine directory (and fixing permissions)
from Fedora, excel.exe would start but exit after a few seconds (same
with 123w.exe).  Same with a few other programs on the winetools menu
(did not try all).  IE6 works though.  Wonder why Mandriva does not seem
to like wine??