[Wine] Help with fonts

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Tue Dec 13 14:42:57 CST 2005

I recently changed to a new computer and reinstalled linux.  I'm
not happy with the current fonts and I see that the whole fonts
area has been revamped, so any old notes I have are obsolete.
Can anyone help me out?

The first and major issue is that when an installation program I
am running tries to display "C:\Program Files" it comes out
looking like CWProgram Files.

Having run with WINEDEBUG=+font and analysed the 4.3 million
lines of output I see the following:

The request is to use a "HELV" (-11 0 0 ..2 1) font.
The request is handled by an instance of the "Baekmuk Headline"
"Regular" font.
The original creation of that font (Helv -11...)
a. Didn't find it in the cache
b. Substituted Helv to MS Sans Serif
c. Chose the Baekmuk Headline Regular for that
d. Gave a trace message about "can't find the table" while
e. caches that font.

This, to me, is not what I would expect when there are 252
Helvetica fonts on the computer.

A. Can anyone tell me how I can look at a particular ttf file and
see what characters are in it (so that I can see if it has a \
that looks like a W)
B. Can anyone tell me how, given a font (selected through
xfontsel), I can find out what is implementing it (e.g. which
ttf file it is in).
--
Bill Medland
mailto:billmedland at mercuryspeed.com