[Wine] Help with fonts

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Tue Dec 13 17:59:27 CST 2005

On December 13, 2005 12:42 pm, Bill Medland wrote:
> I recently changed to a new computer and reinstalled linux.
> I'm not happy with the current fonts and I see that the whole
> fonts area has been revamped, so any old notes I have are
> obsolete. Can anyone help me out?
>
> The first and major issue is that when an installation program
> I am running tries to display "C:\Program Files" it comes out
> looking like CWProgram Files.

Fixed

> Having run with WINEDEBUG=+font and analysed the 4.3 million
> lines of output I see the following:
>
> The request is to use a "HELV" (-11 0 0 ..2 1) font.
> The request is handled by an instance of the "Baekmuk
> Headline" "Regular" font.
> The original creation of that font (Helv -11...)
> a. Didn't find it in the cache
> b. Substituted Helv to MS Sans Serif
> c. Chose the Baekmuk Headline Regular for that
> d. Gave a trace message about "can't find the table" while
> e. caches that font.
>
> This, to me, is not what I would expect when there are 252
> Helvetica fonts on the computer.
>
> A. Can anyone tell me how I can look at a particular ttf file
> and see what characters are in it (so that I can see if it has
> a \ that looks like a W)

Actually it was enough to open an OpenOffice document and play in
there.  Duh!  And yes, the \ is actually painted as a W with two
lines through it.  Yuck.

> B. Can anyone tell me how, given a font (selected through
> xfontsel), I can find out what is implementing it (e.g. which
> ttf file it is in).

So, what I did, for anyone else having similar problems, was
override the FontSubstitutes registry entries to select the best
font that I could use (Bitstream Vera Sans) for everything.
--
Bill Medland
mailto:billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
http://webhome.idirect.com/~kbmed