[Wine] Re: Font problems with AstroGadget font

David Moore davidm at sjsoft.com
Wed Dec 14 15:07:18 CST 2005

Rein Klazes wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 16:07:45 +0200, in gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user
>you wrote:
>

>>Using regression testing, I found that the patch that broke the display
>>was this one: http://cvs.winehq.org/patch.py?id=20043.  The font is
>>freely downloadable from here: http://www.rodsuskin.co.za/AstroGadget.ttf.
>>
>>Is there anything else I can do to help fix this problem?
>>

>I do not see anything wrong here using notepad or charmap.exe from
>win98.
>Are you using wine 9.3? What version of freetype installed?
>
>Rein.

I am using wine 0.9.3.  I have freetype 1.3.1 and freetype 2.1.10
installed.  I can see this problem using Solar Fire Deluxe
(http://www.alabe.com/sf6deluxe.htm), which is unfortunately proprietary.

I can also see the font perfectly using notepad and charmap, so
presumably neither of those programs uses the code in the patch which
breaks it to render the font.  I've submitted a patch that fixes the
problem to wine-patches.  In short, the problem is that the patch above
calls WideCharToMultiByte with a non-null argument as the last
argument.  MSDN documentation on WideCharToMultiByte
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/intl/unicode_2bj9.asp)
specifies that the last two arguments must be NULL for certain
codepages, one of which is codepage 42,  which AstroGadget uses.

If the arguments are not NULL, WideCharToMultiByte returns the error
ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER.  The patch above then does not translate the
character, and returns character index 0.

It would probably be clearer to read the MSDN documentation linked above
and my patch on wine-patches (Fix display of fonts with Symbol codepages
(codepage 42), as well as others) to see the problem.  I'm not sure what
notepad does differently (perhaps Solar Fire performs Unicode
conversions, which complicates things?).

thanks,
David Moore