[Wine] Re: Wine's seti@home team

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Tue Dec 20 13:46:37 CST 2005

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 08:56, Ivan Leo Puoti wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Hi Ivan. This is just fine. If I can get a binary install of Boinc with
> > GUI, I will run that
>
> You can get it from http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php
> look for the Linux/x86 section. It's a self extracting archive, package
> manager is required.
Yes I've DL'd that already in anticipation of installing on Wine failing.

> > Now I may just be very stupid, but seeing a post to the wine-users list
> > asking for folks running seti at home to join wine's team. Logically you
> > appeared to be asking for folks who were running the Windows version of
> > Boinc under Wine on a Linux based machine to join Wine's team as a sort
> > of challenge to the Windows users that are running Boinc.
>
> No, we'll never ever be able to do that, we're competing with Microsoft
> Corporations, not all the Windows users.
>
> > I would still prefer to run Boinc on Wine, more to try out Wine's
> > capabilities. I'm also trying various music apps left over from my
> > Windows days. Some work on Wine, Some don't. It's all a bit of an
> > academic exercise, but definately without IE coming into the equation.
> > Nigel.
>
> The plan is to write an IE replacement at some point, not a browser but
> something that provides the features programs need. However this doesn't
> appear to be a very high priority now. In the mean time I believe running
> the native linux version of BOINC is the best solution.

I look forward to the time when IE will be replaced with something that allows
such apps as Boinc to work without the need for IE. In the meantime I will
persevere with the native Linux version as you suggest.

Thanks for the help. Nigel.