[Wine]Newbie: Running an application within wine (installed fine)

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Thu Feb 3 16:12:42 CST 2005

Hi,

Please remember to use "Reply to all" when responding to this list;
otherwise your message will only go to the original sender and not the list.

Therefore this message is fully quoted, so that your previous reply will
also go to the list.

Bottom-posting (posting your reply below the quoted text) is also
preferred (otherwise it gets confusing following the thread of problem
and suggested solution).

דותן כהן wrote:
> I just tried- nothing. I just sit and wait. No output, nothing.
>
> Where is this menu link that you mention? I see none in the KDE menu,
> is this the menu that you mean?

I'm using wine 20050111 with SuSE 9.2, and I was surprised as well when
I installed Planescape: Torment and suddenly I had a Wine folder in the
KDE menu, with a link to the program, with an icon, even (!!!).

I have to assume this is a new functionality of Wine, or possibly a
"special" quality related to SuSE (which loves KDE a great deal, and
integrates a lot of 'internal functions' with it). If a new function of
Wine, then perhaps an upgrade will enable it; if specific to the SuSE
package, then I'm just lucky :-) .

In any case, the fact that this lovely link exists yet does not work for
me (I had to write a little shell script that cds to the program
directory, then runs the main executable with wine, otherwise the
program gives an error and will not start) is of no use to you if your
program will not start nor give output even when started directly from
within the program's install folder.

However, the fact that it isn't working could be due to a couple of factors:

1) How are you stopping the process when the program fails to start? Is
there possibly a wineserver still running from a previous failed
attempt? Please check a process monitor such as KDE System Guard and
kill any wineservers or leftover running Wine processes before trying
again to run the program from its install directory.

2) The fact that no output whatsoever is being produced is suspicious,
insofar as it suggests that the program is not crashing (in which case
there would be output of some sort), but stuck somewhere along the way
to running.

Does this program need to contact some external device such as a scanner
or camera before starting?

You are running these commands from a terminal, correct?

HTH,
Holly