[Wine]Problem starting wine

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Fri Feb 4 11:26:37 CST 2005

Donald E Haselwood wrote:
> Any suggestions to fix the following?
>
> After upgrading from Suse 9.1 to 9.2.  I get the messages
>
>     Warning: The specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not
> accessible.
>     Warning: The specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows\\System" is
> not accessible.
>
> It does this on two programs that worked correctly with Suse 9.1, but fail
> after the upgrade.
>
> After the upgrade, the Linux startup had a warning with each windows partition
> mount:
> utf8 is not a recommended IO charset for FAT ...
>
> Based on a www search I changed the charset to cp850, which eliminated the
> warning, but it did not change the wine startup problem.  My understanding is
> that the IO charset involves translation of the file names, which could be a
> source of the wine startup problem.
>
> Don

I recently upgraded SuSE 9.1 to 9.2 myself and had no problems... but
then again, I uninstalled Wine first, then reinstalled it after the upgrade.

I would imagine that your problem is that you are using the "old" SuSE
9.1 binary under SuSE 9.2-- because I also assume that there is a reason
that there are separate Wine packages for SuSE 9.1 and 9.2 on the
download site at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241&package_id=79444
.

If you uninstall the RPM, your ~/.wine folder will not be removed, so
everything should be OK when you install the 9.2 RPM. But of course, if
you're really worried, back up the wine registry and config files first,
then restore them if needed.

HTH,
Holly