[Wine]Re: Re: wine-20050111 - missing MSVCR71.dll

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 08:44:09 CST 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:22:28 +0000, Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Mike,
> >    I will consider that. This app is a small VST synth. They are small
> > plugins, dll files themselves, that are used in Windows audio apps. In
> > my experience none of these *free* VSTs distribute anything other than
> > their own self-contained VST dll when we get them off the web.
> > Possibly in the for-money ones do. I'll have to look at the few I own.
> >
> >    I tried moving it to windows/system and things work fine. I suppose
> > the risk in that strategy would be losing the dll if I blow the
> > directory away so I'll keep a copy somewhere else for safety.
>
> Possibly the plugins are relying on that file being placed there by a
> Cubase install, or some other app. I'm not sure ... IMHO it's really
> just a buggy plugin, you could run into the same errors on Windows
> (which is why dll-files.com exists).
>
> thanks -mike

Mike,
   Free software is 'free' support too. ;-)

   I went back to the Crystal page and found thiese instructions:

Download Crystal for Windows(If you don't see anything when you unzip
this file, be sure to turn on the display of .dll files: Go to "Folder
options" in windows explorer, select "View" and turn on "show hidden
files and folders". You'll then see the Crystal.dll file.) Older
versions of Windows may require a copy of the msvcr71.dll file in the
system32 folder. You can obtain that file here:
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr71

http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/download.html

   At least they had some instructions and a pointer to the dll file.
That's not such bad support really. I'm guessign that you would not
agree with their system32 instruction?

   Thanks for your help!

- Mark