[Wine]Re: Re: wine-20050111 - missing MSVCR71.dll

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 11:12:20 CST 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 16:12:14 +0000, Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Download Crystal for Windows(If you don't see anything when you unzip
> > this file, be sure to turn on the display of .dll files: Go to "Folder
> > options" in windows explorer, select "View" and turn on "show hidden
> > files and folders". You'll then see the Crystal.dll file.) Older
> > versions of Windows may require a copy of the msvcr71.dll file in the
> > system32 folder. You can obtain that file here:
> > http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msvcr71
>
> I guess that means I was wrong and this DLL is shipped in the latest
> versions of Windows. That means eventually we'll have to reimplement it
> as well <sigh>

Soory to be the bearer of one more action item. ;-)

I'm looking at my Win XP laptop where I run Pro Tools. (And someday
Ardour I suppose) I have a copy of mscvr71.dll in Windows/system32,
but I have no way of telling whether it was placed there by Windows or
some application.

On a side note, I find it a bit scary that I have no less than 19
copies of msvcr.dll on this same system scattered all over the place.
This wouldnt be so bad if they were just copies of the same file but
they are not:

249K - 4 copies
261K - 5 copies
273k - 2 copies
285k - 1 copy
289k - 1 copy
315k - 2 copies
316k - 2 copies (one in system32)
335k - 2 copies (both in a software distribution directory)

NOTE: I cannot apply Service Pack 2 on this machine since Pro Tools is
not qualified with that yet.)

Sorting by date  the files run from 2/11/1999 to 8/3/04. Size and date
do not follow each other .

How can this really work? Does every Windows app use what's in
system32 or are they free to call their own private copy of this dll.

- Mark