[Wine]Re: System directory L"%SystemRoot%\\system" is not accessible

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Tue Feb 8 08:57:31 CST 2005

Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 03:16:54 +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:
>>Umm... how can this be, when Wine itself set up the Registry that way,
>
> %SystemRoot% is supported, but it may have got damaged. Rerun
> wineprefixcreate on your existing .wine setup (just type it from the
> command line) and see if that helps. It should remerge the registry.
> Otherwise look in tools/wine.inf for the right key.

Thanks, Mike, that did help somewhat (not sure if it's enough yet, though).

Here's the output (which looked scary to me, but might tell you something):

holly at SuSE:~/.wine> wineprefixcreate
Warning: the specified System directory L"%SystemRoot%\\system" is not
accessible.
err:ole:CoGetClassObject couldn't load InprocServer32 dll
%SystemRoot%\system\devenum.dll
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID
{4315d437-5b8c-11d0-bd3b-00a0c911ce86}, hres is 0x80070005
err:devenum:DEVENUM_RegisterQuartz Failed to register Quartz. Error was
0x80070005)
fixme:shell:_SHExpandEnvironmentStrings non-drive system paths unsupported
fixme:shell:_SHExpandEnvironmentStrings non-drive system paths unsupported
fixme:shell:_SHExpandEnvironmentStrings non-drive system paths unsupported
fixme:shell:_SHExpandEnvironmentStrings non-drive system paths unsupported
fixme:shell:_SHExpandEnvironmentStrings non-drive system paths unsupported
/home/holly/.wine created successfully.

My concerns are mostly the inability to load a dll in the %SystemRoot%,
and the failure to register Quartz.

But OK, it did work, or so it claimed.

Attempting then to (re)install QT 6.3 resulted in a lot of

holly at SuSE:/media/dvdrecorder/storage/+drivers/QT6pt3> wine
QuickTimeInstaller.exe
[...]

errors (and I do mean a lot, there's like a hundred lines of this), yet
the installer did run and appeared to work properly (I reinstalled QT
over the directory I had previously used, chosen by default in the
installer, so Wine did know it was there already).

Unfortunately, choosing the QuickTime Player menu entry (created by Wine
in the SuSE main menu), or cding to the QT directory and attempting to
run the QuickTime Player, now results in a Windows dialog informing me
that QT failed to initialize (error -2093), and that I should make sure
QT is properly installed on this computer. Septerra Core itself no
longer recognizes the CD in the D:\ drive (so will not run, though I can
probably hack that, since I did a full install, but that would mean
messing with the Registry again... not a good idea).

OK, fine, it would seem to be time to blow away my Wine installation and
start from scratch, which is not a problem (though it is a pain), but
what I need to know is:

What is the proper way and format to add registry entries to the Wine
registry to prevent this from happening again?

The needed entries for Septerra Core are provided in Windows format,
naturally ( http://www.valkyriestudios.com/Septerra/fsa.htm ), and I
"converted" them based on the Wine Registry entry structure, and saved
the converted text as .reg files (for use in the future), and then ran
wine regedit and imported the .reg files. Maybe wine regedit doesn't
like me importing files with it, or maybe I converted the reg files
wrong (though the keys looked right, and seemed to work, since the game
ran properly except for the Quicktime movies). Or maybe something else
was wrong that was only exposed when I ran regedit.

So how should I proceed when I reinstall the Wine applications (or
rather, Septerra Core) to prevent breaking the Registry (again)?

Thanks very much for your help,
Holly