[Wine]Invisible Menu Items in Wavelab [was: Problems starting Wavelab]

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 15:49:37 CST 2005

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:10:52 +1100, Shayne O'Connor
<forums at machinehasnoagenda.com> wrote:

> hi mark, thanx for the info .... however, the quartz.dll didn't seem to
> help :(
>
> >   Searching on my XP Pro box there is a copy in system32 so it you
> >were to try putting it there then it might be interesting to see what
> >it does.

> i also put it in the /system/ folder - that is where the included .nfo
> file suggests to put it ...

Yeah, it would have been luck if it worked. I just found with the
newest VST stuff that putting the required dll's in the directory tha
the VST was in worked i that case.

I suspect that quartz really isn't the solution however and more work
with it will just be wasted time...

> >   Now, if it's not quartz.dll then you have to run the wine debugger
> >to figure out what's being called when the menu is drawn incorrectly.
> >I tried that and didn't get anywhere.
> >

> i'll give this a shot - i haven't been able to find a good debugging
> how-to for wine ... any suggestions?

Well, the Wine Userr's guide gives some good instructions but you need
to be pretty interested in learning before you delve in.

http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/bugs

You can learn about debug channels in other parts of the same
document. It's interesting (sort of...) that all this capability is
there, but also frustrating as it feels like you have to get a
programming degree to even get started.

One other possibility, which I don't think will work in this case, is
that IF you can find a version of Wine that work differently in this
regard then you can start looking at when changes happened that
effected your program. I did this on the VST stuff and that lead to a
couple of very helpful and much more knowledgeable people jumping in
and find a hack to fix something. The good side about that hack is a
better version is now being included in the next version of jack_fst
and it will be FAR easier for others to fun VSTs under Linux in the
future. Clearly Wavelab, Reaktor and lots of other high-end windows
audio apps are wanted by the community. If we can find some of these
answers then it helps everyone.

Did you earlier point out a demo version of Wavelab that shows this
problem? I'd be willing to try a quick install to see if I can
duplicate your results.

Cheers,
Mark